Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"Fab"ulous Holiday Cache

Now that it's December, I feel the need to highlight this nifty cache idea. Last year, my first holiday that I have been caching, I found a cache with some friends in the Unionville area placed by a family team called Fababoo (GC178GD). Where it is, is not as important as how it was put together.

Don't get me wrong, I have been known to find a micro or two and I know there are TONS of cachers who enjoy quick caches that boost their numbers. Many like the find more than any other part of geocaching and thus a fast, lamp skirt micro is right up their alley. But I really enjoy the process of finding the cache. Locations that are beautiful or interesting get me hooked right from the beginning. And this can be hard in an urban area.

This cache in particular interested me because it was in a nice conservation area smack dab in the middle of a suburb. It had lovely trails and even though we went out on a REALLY cold day, we had a blast exploring the park. It held a very nice surprise though at the end. Winter caching in Canada can be a bit like cheating as you follow the geo-prints right to GZ, but as we peeked inside the cache, we found these lovely custom ornaments. The cache owner stocks up his cache on a regular basis so that anyone who visits gets to take home a wonderful keepsake. I can't say that I have seen a nicer signature item and you can tell a lot of work went into them.

Fababoo has been stocking the 2006 and 2007 caches regularly and there is rumour that there may be a new one (or perhaps more than one??) placed in honour of 2008. I hope to get out and find the 2008 to add another cache to my find list, another memory to my geocaching adventure and maybe if I'm lucky, another decoration for my tree.

Thanks to Fababoo for a "Fab"ulous series of caches!

No comments: